Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My job story.. Part 2

Alright who is ready to read part 2 of my "I got a job" story? (In case you missed part one read it here)

After my second phone interview I was feeling pretty confident about getting through to the next round, which was in-person interviews. As I said, I had a lot of questions as to how the in-person would work because I was in Arizona (they knew this) and they were in two different offices in Louisiana and Texas. They were planning to conduct the in-person interviews in the Capital One Conference Center offices in McLean, VA. I had looked into the cost of flights and said if it was necessary I was willing to fly myself to Virginia to show my seriousness about the position and so they would have the opportunity to meet me as a job candidate.

In-person interviews have always been my specialty. I love to talk to people and somehow do not get nervous. Now this may change someday, I have only ever done 5 or so in-person interviews but as of now I think it is how I shine. That is why i was willing to spend almost $300 to fly to Virginia and do the interview if needed.

At this point I had been told they would call me in a few days and let me know if I would be moving to the in-person round. On August 13th, Omar called me and said they would love to move me into the next and final round however they were unsure about how to conduct the interview. I once again told him I was willing to fly to Virginia and he said that would not be necessary. They wanted to see if there was a facility around me where they could do a video teleconference. I was surprised they did not want to do the in-person and at this point I did not know what to think. I figured it either meant I was their top candidate and they felt confident in the two prior interviews and they wanted to video conference just to make sure I did not look like a freak.. OR they saw me as the "candidate we need to interview so they could offer the job to the person they actually wanted". Either way I really wasn't too worried. God was able to calm me and He truly stayed with me throughout the whole process. I recently saw this on another blog I love (Biblical Homemaking) and thought it fit perfectly in my life right now, and really anyone's life.

As I was following this advice I realized how much this job journey really is part of a much bigger journey. I was learning through practical experiences how much to trust in God and know that He will take care of me and that He has a plan. I was actively living the bible verse I had learned at a young age and truly understanding what it meant to trust in His plans for you.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

I was in a great place and ready to see what would happen next! I called around (literally everywhere in this little town) and was unable to find video teleconferencing other than skype. I returned Omar's phone call and told him and he said he would get back to me tomorrow about whether they wanted to do third phone interview or have me fly out for the in-person. 

Wednesday, August 14th around 9AM my time I receive a phone call from Omar stating their decision: "We have decided that since you are our TOP candidate and are in a different state and travel can be difficult, we would just like to base it off your previous interviews". Question answered. I was their top candidate. At this point I was feeling really good about getting the position. He had also asked if they could call my references, which I knew would be a home run. I don't really understand the whole reference thing. Who would give someone the name of a bad reference? I mean I would like to think I do not have any bad references but if you did I would never give them that name! But anyways, my reference were top notch so I had a feeling my life was about to change! 

Upon hanging up with Omar he told me they would be calling the references and I should hear something next week. Which brings us to Monday, August 19th: the day I was offered the job. 
This day also happened to be my husbands 4 year Army birthday (4 year anniversary of joining the Army) so we were already celebrating. David had told me he thought I would find out about the job today but I was not so sure. Next thing I know the phone is ringing and within 5 minutes I had a verbal offer to work at the Learning Events Manager at Capital One Conference Center through Benchmark Hospitality. 

I accepted the job that evening and agreed to start two weeks and one day from then. My first day will be Tuesday, September 3rd! Needless to say I have had a LOT to do to prepare for starting work. I am moving back to Virginia on September 1st, the day after David and I watch the Tigers beat the Dawgs in Death Valley. I have been busying tying up loose ends in Arizona, thrift store shopping like a mad man (get excited for that post tomorrow), and making plans for my new life in Virginia. 

The saddest part of this very happy story is my hubby will not be able to join me in Virginia until October 21st. The good news is I have already been approved time off (I made this a condition of my employment) to fly out here on October 11th and spend the week with him at his graduation, welcoming his family to Arizona, then taking an awesome road trip back to North Carolina with them. I will hopefully be able to fly out in the middle of September to see him and the fatzo (Bones) which would really help to break up the 5 weeks apart. 

If you all would just keep us in your prayers in our time of apart and as we start these new journeys we would really appreciate it! There are a lot of exciting times coming up and we are so blessed. 

Talk to you all tomorrow... (I am super stoked about my thrift store post in case you cannot tell... Prepare to be amazed)

No comments:

Post a Comment