Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wow all that only cost how much!?

Now that you all know I got a job and will be starting in less than two weeks (from when I started shopping) I have a LOT to share with you all about my thrift store finds! Once I got the job I realized I did not have very many clothes for work. One reason being when we moved to Arizona I only brought summer clothes and now I am moving straight from Arizona to Virginia where most of my summer dresses will not be the best work attire. Also, at the end of last fall/winter I consigned some clothes to buy some new spring clothes. Usually every 3 or so years I notice I need to replace some items in my closet and make room for new things! That brings me to now, a week prior to starting a full time position and needing clothes... bad!

I knew it was not in our budget to go out and buy a bunch of new stuff from the usual stores, J.Crew, Banana Republic, Gap, Target, Ann Taylor, you know... SO I took to the thrift stores. I grew up going to thrift stores with my family and my stepmom Deidre really taught me how to get the bargains. I hit the town, 4 thrift stores and 2 consignment stores in total. I had been to the thrift stores before a few times looking for household items for our hotel so I was familiar with the store policies and discount days. Each had a different day for military discount (10-20 percent) and they all had 50% off week for items that had been there for a certain amount of time.

First, I had started pinning outfits I liked so I had an idea of what kind of pieces I was looking for. I wanted to buy pieces that I would know how to wear or know what to piece them with. This helped me a lot to know what to look for in terms of style, fit, and color. I would reference my pinterest board multiple times to see what kind of items I still needed or new ideas for cute looks.

Once I knew what I needed I set out. Thus far I have been to each thrift and consignment store 2-3 times because their inventory changes daily. I am SO PROUD of all the deals I got. Below I am going to post all the pictures and brands I have found so far and then at the end I will post how much I spend total.

Disclaimer: I did go to Ross one day and found a few cute pieces that were still good deals but not AS good. I also consigned a few of my summer dresses and 2 pairs of shoes I was no longer wearing and used the consignment credit toward my new clothes.

Merona Dress and Nude Wedges

Merona Dress

Dress from Dillards, originally like $80

Some target designer- brand new


Adorable top- no tags but super soft, more for home than work

Ann Taylor top- like new


J crew top- like new

J.Crew top- like new

new- Gap top

J.Crew top- so soft

Merona Dress and belt (found separately)

Target-like new

The Limited- Brand new $90 originally (I did put a few dollars in alterations)

Merona (I know I love target clothes)

Forever 21 New with tags

Gap- like new

Forever 21

Target

H&M Like new

Okay so that is 22 items (if you include the belt and shoes and one not pictured)

For these items I paid a whopping $102.97!
That is $4.68 an item!!

No lie. I wanted to prove it to you so I took pictures of my receipts below.

Now that does include about $30 in credits from selling 4 dresses and 2 pairs of shoes to the consignment. However, there is also one shirt not pictured so its really 22 items! I am just SO excited about all my purchases and what I was able to get for that amount. I mean these are not shabby clothes, these are my favorite brands, some of them still with tags! 

Now I realize these receipts add up to 133.29 for any of you who did the math, however there were a couple things belonging to my husband on the receipts and one store did not properly credit my trade-in and had to fix it, thats how I got to $102.97!






I also did cave and purchased a few things brand new from Ross. Those deals are not as good but they are decent and the pieces are classics:

I love this skirt, right at the knee but pleated, a change from the traditional pencil

Did make sure to get a traditional pencil too and this cute shirt

I loved this flowy soft skirt, it has pleating on the right side so its just makes you feel like you can twirl!

All of these clothes ended up being $77.15. Like I said, not as good but also not too shabby. 

All in all I ended up with a TON of outfits for less than $200. I hope everyone is now inspired to run out to their Goodwill, I will say, it take patience but in the end it is totally worth it!

Happy shopping!




No comments:

Post a Comment